All People are Created Equal

Charles - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: equality

The Declaration of Independence states that, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.” That is what I believe.

No matter if you are African American, White, Hispanic, or any other Nationality I believe that every single person alive in the world today deserves equal and unalienable rights.

Martin Luther King once stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial nearly 45 years ago, preaching an end to the racial injustice between Black and White Americans. He once preached, “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.” In a time when all men and women were not created equal, when Americans did not all have certain unalienable rights, and many were not happy, many Americans wanted it to be possible for all Americans to be entitled to the rights made by our founding fathers.

Ask yourself; why should one person be treated differently from another because of race, gender or socio-economic status? Why should they have to hide themselves or be embarrassed because they are different? Why should you make fun of people because they are unlike you? What makes them inferior to you? They deserve the same sort of treatment that you deserve. That’s what I believe.

Everyday in my life I see how being treated with equality affects people in a positive way. At school I see how kids may be smarter, more athletic, or better liked than others. However the teachers and students respect and appreciate every single person at our school. It is unacceptable to treat anyone in our middle school community with disrespect, and if you do disrespect anyone in or school there will be consequences. The result of the rules at our school is that everyone in our community feels welcome, comfortable, and right about themselves.

When I was little I remember the Golden Rule; “Treat others the way you would like to be treated.” This was the phrase I was taught at school, by my parents, and even my friends. I believe that this simple rule can give you what you and what others need to achieve happiness. In the early years of my school I remember how this simple rule would keep our class together. When we were on the verge of fights between each other we could stick together by just mentioning the Golden Rule. Unfortunately, today in 7th grade the Golden Rule does not exist. People will treat others however they want to treat them, and this doesn’t always mean treating others kindly. However, I believe that if you follow the Golden Rule anyone has the ability to be happy.

I believe in being treated with Equality and that it is one of the most important aspects of human life. Without it some of us are nothing, but with it I believe we all have the opportunity to achieve anything.