The Power of Music

Cameron - riverton, Utah

The Power of Music

When you need comfort, what or who do you go to? For some people it’s a good friend or a familiar place. For me the most comforting thing in the world is music. I believe in all kinds of music; rap or rock, techno or country, polka or pop, I love it all.

You may be thinking you can’t believe in music. This is true but you can believe in the feelings and emotions music gives you. I believe in the power of music and how it can affect you.

Every weekday (Monday through Friday) is the same for me, schedule wise. I wake up at 6:00; I’m at work between 6:30 and 7:30, I work from when I get there to 3:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 4:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I usually don’t get home until around 8:00 or 8:30 at night. The only thing that keeps me sane all day is music in any form. I have a radio playing where I work in the wash bay of the Larry H. Miller collision center. On days when either the radio got wet from the hose or got dropped or stolen, which happens quite frequently, I have my iPod with me. In between my destinations in my truck I plug my iPod into the tape cassette adapter and play it over the radio. When I’m at school, none of my teachers care if we listen to music as long as we don’t let it become a distraction so I have my iPod there too. Even when I’m asleep I have my iPod docked in my iHome playing all night while it charges for the next day.

When I say I believe in the “power of music”, what I mean is that I believe in the way it influences your mood. Slow songs usually tend to calm people down. When people listen to sad songs they are usually, consequently, depressed. Sometimes when sport teams( usually contact sports) like hockey, football or lacrosse teams are getting ready for a game they will play metal or rock music to get them pumped for the game. When I played football, before games while we practiced, the coaches would play Linkin Park’s Hybrid Theory CD.

Some people say that loud or angry music is the devil and a horrible influence on teenagers today. Yes it CAN be a bad influence but only if you LET it influence you negatively. Generally I like to keep an open mind about all types of music. The reason for this is that music is the artist’s way of communicating their thoughts, feelings or emotions to anyone who will listen and I think they deserve the respect I can give by listening to their music.