The Best of The Bad Days

Monica - Waterford, Pennsylvania

I believe in rained out canoeing trips, snowed-in vacations, rush hour in Pittsburg, and paperwork piled to the ceiling. In life, I have learned that everyone goes through these experiences that do not go as planned. Whether it is a vacation that goes badly or a day at the office that is virtually unproductive, these days still have value because, more often then not they are the days that define you as a person. Although these experiences are not picturesque, they challenge you to rise above and step out of your element to make the best of a bad situation. If you look closely, these experiences are usually the ones that help you to learn more about yourself and others around you. These experiences present in my life have made me believe in the best parts of all the bad times.

To begin, when I define my as good, I have discovered there are still hard days. However, instead of complaining about these days I have learned that I should embrace them. The hard days in life help me to test my limits and define myself as an individual. For example, at first, I thought that senior year was a year of parties and good times. Come to find out it is full of scholarships, financial aid paperwork, and big time projects. Instead of bringing me down, this work has helped me to push myself. By working through these hard days, I have learned my limits and the best way for me to accomplish tasks.

In addition to bad days at work or school, there are also the occasional days on vacation that are not exactly ideal. In my lifetime I have experienced vacations in which I have been stuck in traffic, snowed in, and rained out. However frustrating these days were, they made think outside the box to find new ways to have fun. For example, one day my family decided to go canoeing. Unfortunately, halfway down the river, it started pouring down rain and we ended up sitting under an upside down canoe until it stopped. Sitting in the sand, we had an amazing hour of storytelling, singing, and laughing. Even though it was not perfect, I still count it as one of the best experiences of my life because I learned more about my family then I had ever thought possible.

Finally, all of these experiences of my life have made me the person I am today. They have taught me how to make light of any situation. Just because these scenarios were not perfect does not mean that they mean any less to me. From all of my stressful days at school and rained out canoeing trips, I have gained an imagination, the ability to push limits, and the privilege of learning more about the most important people in my life. Altogether, these experiences are the ultimate reason why I believe in the best parts of all the bad days.