A New Beginning

Anthony - mckinney, Texas

I believe that life is fair. Everyone is faced with their own hardships in no matter what part of ones life they intrude into. But everyone is also granted with the gift of life, and these hardships can be perceived differently by every person. The attitude and mindset that one holds is the key to it all. If you only see the down fall and bad of every situation then you are limiting yourself to negativity. But if you can pull the good even from the worst situation you are giving yourself a bit of hope. In the Bible, Jesus Christ is crucified, and left to die. This to most people is only bad, and there is possible way you can find something positive in that. But against all odds, he found a way. He saw it as dying so others could be forgiven. Everything happens for a reason and we are all along for the ride. It all depends on how you face your obstacles.

During the summer after my eight grade year I heard some devastating news. My dad walked in and told me that my grandfather had died of a stroke, and my grandmother was admitted to the hospital. While I had no time to talk to my grandfather before he died, my grandmother was in stable condition but being tested for any disease the doctors could think of. Later we would receive the unfortunate news that my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer of the liver, and her death was inevitable. While we still had time my family made the trip to see my Nonna and spend the time she had left by her side. I expected this visit to be one of grief and unhappiness because the end was approaching ever so rapidly, but much to my surprise it was one of joy and anxiousness. I had talked to my Nonna about her strong faith and religious background before, but we had never breached the subject of death. We left with the hospital with the intension of coming back to have dinner later. At noon of the next day my mother received a call with the news that Nonna did not have much time, and that we needed to hurry to the hospital. Like before I came into the hospital expecting a quiet room with the silence only being broken by the sniffles of tears, but I entered a much different environment. The sounds of voices serenading my grandmother with “Amazing Grace”, her favorite hymn, were recognizable from the moment I entered the hall where her room was. As we walked through the door she slowly raised her head, looked around at her children, and laid her head to eternal rest. This was the beginning of the new life she had been preparing for while on this earth. To her death was not something to grieve, but a new opportunity to celebrate.