Living Life

Katherine - Chesterfield, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that life can be taken in a moment, so I live every moment I have to the fullest. Death can come across a person in the blink of an eye. So why live a life that doesn’t completely fulfill your dreams? My goal in life is to accomplish my dreams so I can’t look back on my life when I’m ninety and have anything to regret. I don’t want to regret what I did or did not do.

In 1998, my grandfather was diagnosed with leukemia. He tried to undergo chemo, which failed miserably. The doctors told him that he had one year to live. He begged the doctor to let him out of the hospital. Reluctantly, the doctor agreed and told him he didn’t have to stay in the hospital. So in his last year of life, he traveled all over Europe with his girlfriend, and as soon as he returned to the US, his cancer returned, worse than ever. His doctor suggested a breathing machine, because his lungs were already in bad shape from smoking. He told his doctor that he didn’t want to live the last part of his live on a machine that was barely keeping him alive. He wanted to die naturally. So in 2000, he died peacefully.

His family and loved ones were devastated, but we all realized he was in a better place. I was so sad, but I understood that he was in so much pain.

My grandpa knew he was going to die in the near future, so he had the chance to do everything he wanted to do with his life. But sometimes, people don’t have as much time as my grandfather did. On September 11, 2001, terrorists from the group, Al Qaeda flew planes into the Twin Towers. The attack was unexpected, and many innocent people died. When these people headed to work at the World Trade Center, they had no clue that their life was to be in grave danger that day. The people involved in 9/11 had no warning; their lives were taken before they had time to live a full life. I’m sure many of the people who unfortunately died on 9/11 would have done many more things in their lifetime and accomplished more goals if they had had longer to live.

Right now, in my life, I’m completing some of the things I wanted to do when I was younger; get a good education, be accomplished in a sport (gymnastics), and try new and different things. These aren’t my only dreams and hopes of what I wish to do with my life. As I get older, more hopes will be established and accomplished, but by the time I die, I hope to have done many things I had hoped to do when I was younger.