Perfection Isn’t Real

Emma - St. Louis

I believe that no one is perfect, but despite that, we should still enjoy every minute of our life. No matter how imperfect it is. When my friend Kaytlin and I were chosen to perform at our schools talent show, I thought to myself, “this is going to be perfect, and everyone will love it”. Everything was going fine until we started playing our song. While I was strumming, I noticed all too clearly that my top 4 strings were totally flatted. I started to freak out and I didn’t know what to do. I finally just kept on playing and tried enjoyed my first performance. It turns out that it didn’t sound absolutely horrible, because everyone complemented us afterwards. I realized that I was just so wrapped up in my fantasy in what I wanted it to be; I was disappointed in how it turned out. This is how I figured that I should just enjoy my life and not plan out how things should go.

I’m also socially awkward. When I meet new people who either are too quiet or intimidate me I usually just freak them out or intrigue them. I either say really stupid things or start rambling. I just keep talking until finally they either leave or I do first. But sometimes I meet people like me who ramble, so it just turns into a big loud talking fest. Those people are usually the ones who turn into some of my best friends. Sometimes when my friends and I are in a big group I’ll say something awkward or stupid and then everyone would be like “Awkward Llama!” but we still laugh and have fun with it. Even though I make situations awkward for my friends, they still love me for me and will always stick with me.

I have learned that no one is perfect, including me. I know I have tripped both up and down the stairs multiple times (and I’m sure everyone else has too) but I just laugh at myself and just keep on walking because I feel that no one should dwell on those small negative things. I think perfect is being over hyped. It seems that all these girls you hear about wanting to be perfect because they want to impress someone or attract (sometimes unwanted) attention. Some people think that if something/someone isn’t perfect, its obsolete. I think that’s just a horrible thing to think. If you look in the magazines and see these models with their flawless skin and their hair that seems to always go in the right direction, under all that is a bunch of blemishes and frizz. We all try to make ourselves be as perfect as we can be in every single way. I say just say be happy with who you are, and know if you tried your best, that’s as perfect as your going to get.