hip hop or rap

carl - austin, Texas

People who don’t know Hip Hop think that Hip Hop and Rap are one and the same. Truth is there is an apparent difference between the two. See Hip Hop is more of a way of life but rap is only a genre of music. You see Hip Hop is music for the soul and music with a purpose. Unlike rap it is also: free expression through dance such as breaking krumping etc. it is music (MC’s Hip Hop artists), spin masters a.k.a DJ’s, and lastly the most misunderstood graffiti a.k.a graph. This is the most misunderstood because it was manipulated into tagging. You might ask, what’s the difference? Well graph is art; it is more than just a person writing their name claiming this spot for themselves. It’s showing you that an artist, not some two-bit gang member who wanted to prove him or her self, worked on this piece of art. This is why you never see this graph art pieces covered up.

I am a b-boy. for those of you who don’t know what that is it is a break-dancer or break boy for short. At my school we have two dance teams the sapphires and diamonds. At my school, we practice in the sapphires’ classroom Tuesday through Friday. One day before my Hip Hop culture/break dancing class, soul sessions, me and the other people in the class found out someone got in and tagged up the dance rooms for the diamonds and the sapphires. None of us knew about it, but since we were the Hip-Hop class they automatically assumed that we did it. So of course, we got kicked out. Instead of going crazy over it, we kept our head up and moved on. Everything evened out after we got our classroom, but none of us will ever forget that day we got kicked out for others’ actions. I actually think that made us better break-dancers in all aspects.

All this just relates back to the negativity displayed in rap music and the only way we can fix this is to educate people on this matter.