Positive Vibrations

Lexi - Snohomish, Washington

Bob Marley stated, “Love the life you live, live the life you love”. In my bedroom, I have this quote posted on the wall across from my bed. It’s what I wake up to and look at almost every morning. It’s a saying that motivates me to start my day or whenever I walk in my room. It helps remind me that I have the choice to make what I want of my day. Yesterday is history and tomorrow a mystery. Today is a new day; a new start. I believe in living with optimism. I believe in positive vibrations. I believe good conquers the bad in all aspects, but to make it possible, that is your decision. I look around my room at pictures of memories and the good I’ve found to accomplish. I look forward to the good things I’ll come across in the future and the good feelings they will bring me. That’s what I live for; what keeps me going.

Setting my mind into an optimistic manner doesn’t mean that life is as breezy as I’d like it to be. Negativity often finds its way into the spot light. However, I believe if you take your attitude in another direction, you will find pleasure elsewhere. Problems happen all the time around the world to everybody. I believe that you will eventually eliminate them in the long run if you don’t dwell on their occurrence. Life is made up of a million things, so you never run out of opportunity to find goodness.

If you are to expect a disaster, then life will unfold in that form. You will probably be served with more misfortunes. Concentration of those misfortunes will block out good things in life that try to make way, whether it be a child giving you a hug or a promotion. Negativity will snowball and escalade in many different ways. For instance, if you’re in a bad mood, you could snap at a co-worker or schoolmate and you could get a bad reaction that would further upset you.

In applying this philosophy, there are many lessons to keep in mind that I find to help express more positive outlooks. Keep in mind there’s always someone who has it worse than you. Don’t look down on them unless you’re helping them up. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone, so cherish what is here for you. Worry about your character rather than your reputation because that’s who you are, which matters more than what others think of you. You don’t need a whole staircase to begin with, just the first step. You will make it. Remember that story about the tortoise and the hare? Slow and steady always wins the race.

Mistakes are for learning. If you beat yourself up over flaws, you’re putting yourself in that mentality where you are subconsciously expecting blemishes. Take the time to look at what you can improve and believe in yourself. Negative out is positive in. I believe that as humans, we were built to endure the fatigue life feeds and our challenge is to find our sunshine that lights up a day.

My everyday is an example of my beliefs in action. I am an eighteen year old girl with many faults and shortcomings. I’m struggling to learn how to grow up into the adult I want to become. I carry with me many wonderful and painful memories, burdens, and insecurities. The past six years at home, after my parents divorced, have been insanely chaotic, with a daily dose of constant battles between members of my family. Since I acquired my license, I’ve caused myself to be in terrible debt with my dad, about five or six tickets on my driving record, and a car that isn’t as hot as when I was give it. The two boyfriends I’ve dated have claimed to be in love with me, but had deceived me by lying and cheating on me. Sometimes I’ll go to bed at night worried, dissatisfied, and stressed, but I can go to sleep in comfort knowing tomorrow is another chance. I will continue to live life, love, try, and capture every given moment of happiness. I believe happiness is not a goal, but a way of life.