Fight For What You Want

Briana - Snohomish, Washington

Two summers ago, I used to live my life freely without a care in the world. I was just a normal sixteen year old girl always on the go. Going out on the weekends and staying out all night turned into a regular routine, seven days a week. I never stayed home, except for when I’d come home during the day to sleep, but then I would just leave again that night. Partying enabled me to meet new people and make friends, which I did. When June twenty-ninth rolled around, that day would change my life forever. It was the day that my boyfriend and I met, I was sixteen and he was twenty. I had to tell my parents he was eighteen so they would let me hang out with him. A month went by and we developed a brother/sister relationship and became really good friends. My summer was going perfect. But when August twelfth of two-thousand and six came…my perfect world came to a crashing halt. My parents had found out about me lying, partying, and David’s real age. I was never allowed to see him again and was grounded for the rest of the summer. My life went from the highest high, to the lowest low within a five minute conversation over the phone with my mom.

David and I tried our best to be secret and still see each other. When I went to work, he’d come visit me. When my parents would go somewhere together, he would stop by and see me until they came home. Some nights, I would actually sneak out of my house at midnight and walk to the end of my street where he would meet me to just talk for a few hours. When I was finally allowed to see my friends, and hang out with them again, David would tag along. Only my parents never knew he would be joining us.

Another month went by and my dad caught us and threatened to put a restraining order on him. A couple nights later I was able to see David one last time. We decided that we weren’t going to sneak around anymore and realized that we had to wait for the future. David called my parents that day and apologized for everything he’d done and told them that he wasn’t going to see me anymore. Surprisingly, my dad told him that he appreciated his apology and wasn’t getting the restraining order anymore. They finally got off the phone and David and I just sat in tears, saying our goodbyes. A couple minutes later, David’s phone started ringing, it was my dad. It was a short conversation, but good news came with it. My parents had invited him over to my house so they could talk. I think the only reason they invited him was because they knew how much he meant to me, and that I wouldn’t give up. Later after their secret meeting, my parents told me that they were going to allow us to see each other. Everything we fought for, everything we hoped for had happened.

David and I will have been together two years this summer of two-thousand and eight, and I’ve never been happier. I believe that if you truly feel like you love someone, or even just strongly want something, you should always fight for it and never give up, ever. No matter what’s holding you back, you should push and strive for that light at the end of your tunnel. And when you finally reach that sunshine, you’ll realize that in the end, it was worth it. And to me, he was.