Winners Try Losers Quit

Matthew - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe you’re a loser if you loose by giving up, but a true winner if you lose by trying. This is a lesson I have learned a countless number of times from spots and academics, and can apply to anything I want to be in the widening future.

For example, when I started playing tennis in the 5th grade I had a coach that was never afraid to tell the truth weather it was for the better or for the worse. When I had my first lesson with him he sat me down and told me face to face, that “if I was really serious about playing tennis I should know that there are kids who have been playing since they were in the 1st grade. He said that “I would most likely be, but a bump in there path to winning.” In those few seconds that it took him to say those heart-wrenching words, I made up my mind to show him the power of perseverance. A little over three years later, I remembered what he said after I came off the court with a victory over the number one seed and smiled, satisfied.

Much higher up the line of good athletes is another great example of a dedicated winner, Andre Agassi. Andre’s trophy cases are laden with glimmering trophies. Trophies show dedication, but nothing shows it more than what he did in 1993.

Agassi was forced to stop playing tennis at age 23 when he injured his wrist playing in the first round of the U.S. open. Soon after dropping out Agassi had surgery on his wrists in a desperate attempt to fit through the closing gates, separating him from playing the sport he loved. Andre’s perseverance and winning attitude took him through the gates and farther than just a competitor. Andre Agassi became the only man to win all four grand slam tournaments.

I have tried to apply this rule to everything I do in life, from studying final exams to the deciding moment match on the tennis court. From what I have experienced, determination is the key to success. I believe that a person who, has enough heart and mind to know that there best shot is to try, no mater what the odds, is a true winner.