I Belive That Brotherhood Unites Us All

Matthew - St. Louis, Missouri

Everyone on this earth is connected. Even though there are a limitless variety of religions, beliefs, and cultures, we are not as different as we think. I believe that our sense of brotherhood is what intertwines our minds and hearts on a level more intimate than anyone can imagine.

There are millions of charities in operation today worldwide such as One and Darfur Now. These charities would not be able to operate if it was not for the money and time given by those people who have compassion and think of others. There are terrible things happening to people just like you and me all over the world, things that no living being, much less a human should ever have to suffer. Luckily, people are beginning to realize this more and more. These people understand that these poor people deserve every right they themselves have, and they are willing to fight to give them those rights. They reach out to the people in need, the people that are not so different from themselves. They reach out to a brother.

Brotherhood is not only something that affects the world as a whole, it can also be seen in little aspects of everyday life as well. For the past two summers, I have gone to camp at Camp Dudley in upstate New York, and one of the many things I have learned there is how to be a good person. The camp’s motto is “The other fellow first”, something that reminds me that everyone else is just as important as I am and that I should treat them that way.

The power of brotherhood can also be seen in more significant things. During World War Two, the Gestapo was ordered by Nazi officers to execute lines of people because they were Jewish or because they spoke out against Hitler. The Gestapo officers shot thousands of these people, and after a while it began to take its toll on them. The guilt of what they were doing was eating away at them, and they began committing suicide and going insane. The power of brotherhood connects us all, we are all part of each other, and so by hurting others we hurt ourselves. This is what destroys evildoers in the end.

The people of this earth have flaws, but the important thing is that we are able to look past those flaws and embrace our fellow man. This may not solve all of the problems between us as people, but at least it’s a start.