It’s Better Off the Bench

Ellis - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe that it is no fun to be stuck on the sideline when you could be playing in a sports game. When I was in fifth grade I broke my foot. I was kicking a balloon around Christmas time, and I accidentally kicked the metal log rack behind it. I was stuck in a boot for what seemed like forever. At the time I was starting up baseball and lacrosse. I could not play in the first two weeks of games and practices. We lost most of the games and I had to go watch them. Watching them lose was nothing like playing and losing (or occasionally winning). I could see where my team was struggling and I kept on thinking, “If I could just sub in, I just might make a difference”. But I was stuck on the sideline the whole time, and I felt completely useless.When the team won, I knew I had nothing to do with it. I felt that I had nothing to do with the win, and that is a bad feeling.It is absolutely no fun to not be able to play in a sports game; you cannot contribute to your team’s efforts and you feel useless.

My not being able to play in my games that spring connects to David Beckham’s being kicked out of the 1998 FIFA soccer world cup. He was not injured, but he still was not allowed to play.An Argentinean player tackled Beckham, who kicked the Argentinean in retaliation. Beckham was given a red card and was kicked out of the game. England was knocked out of the World Cup that year, and all of England said Beckham was to blame. It must have been hard to have not have been able to play in that game, and it was also hard for him to see that he had caused his team to be knocked out. I bet he felt the same way I did.

David Beckham and I were both left out of games that we wanted to play in. Though our experiences were alike, they were also different.I could not play because I was injured, he couldn’t play because he was kicked out. On one hand, it was hard for me to watch my team lose, and not be able to help. But I think that it would be really hard to have been playing the game and then suddenly not be able to play, like Beckham. Also, David Beckham was playing in front of thousands of people (plus television), whereas I would probably have played in front of about 50 people. It probably was harder on Beckhambecause he had more people all with higher expectations. He is the number one soccer player in the world, and he is paid to perform. So if he is kicked out, it is a waste of his boss’s money. I only had my own expectations. But no matter what it is hard to watch your team struggle, and not be able to help.