Doing What You Love

Billy - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe in doing what you love. No matter what, always do whatever gives you joy. This can apply to many areas of life, from playing the sport you love to working at a job that you like. You should disregard the status that the sport gives you, or the pay of the job. Outside factors should not interfere with you and your passion. Doing what you love can foster dedication. This can come through overcoming initial doubts, physical obstacles, or the amount of work needed.

In fifth grade, my mom forced me to join an afterschool math team called Equations. I protested a lot, but she still made me do it. I thought it would be really stupid and nerdy. My mom did tell me, however, that I could quit after a couple of practices. So, I went in to the first practice with the mindset of “I will quit as soon as my mom lets me.” The first practice was horrible. I had no idea what was going on, and everything was really confusing. After that, I was certain that Equations would stink. My mom made me keep going, however, and the second practice was not so bad. By the third practice, I was actually having fun. At the end of the third or fourth practice, I had decided that I would continue to do Equations. At the end of fifth grade, I was even questioning why my mom had not signed me up earlier. So, despite all the previous doubts I had about Equations, and that I knew I would quit, I still stayed in Equations because I found that I loved it.

Brett Favre exemplifies this belief more than any other pro athlete I know. He was the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. He truly did play football because he loved it. Whenever Favre scored a touchdown, he ran all over the field like a little kid, before jumping into the arms of one of his 300-plus pound linemen. There are clips of him on the sideline joking around with all his teammates. Also, he played the sport he loved no matter what. Favre holds the record for the longest streak of starts for a quarterback, which means he has played through some painful injuries. Although Brett Favre could have just decided to sit out a game or two whenever he had an injury, he always decided to do what he loved. To Brett Favre, it isn’t about the money. It is all about his love and passion for the game of football and the Green Bay Packers.

The obstacles to overcome can be previous doubts, as with Equations, or physical problems like a broken thumb, as with Brett Favre, but they can also include the work needed to do what you love. My sister does an after school activity called Mock Trial. In Mock Trial, there is a fictional court case that two school teams argue about. Mock Trial takes a lot of work. In the national competition, Sarah had five roles. Each role was about three pages. She had to write the questions, edit them, and memorize them. Sometimes, on the way to school, she would start muttering. When I asked her what she was saying, she said she was rehearsing her script. It is an amazing amount of work. However, she loves the actual trials, so she does it anyway. Something you absolutely love will always be worth a great amount of work.

The most important thing in life is to do whatever will give you joy. The love of a pursuit will help you overcome obstacles, whatever they may be: initial negative thoughts, a broken thumb, or pages to memorize. As long as you truly enjoy an activity and have a passion for it, you can almost never go wrong. I believe in doing what you love.