Farming Lifestyle

Daniel - Saint Louis, Missouri

I believe that days are meant to be lived with the same natural layout, experiences, and responsibilities that are necessary at my farm. The schedule at the farm is quite simple, wake up for early mornings, afternoons of hard work, early evenings full of relaxing and nighttime full of family. I have learned many lessons while venturing at the farm, many from self-discipline, accident or most of the time from my father. While the farm is a great place for hard work, it really is a step back from our lives at home. Instead of being judged on what you can write on a piece of paper like in school, you are never judged at the farm, unless it is that you are a good worker. The farm creates a stress free, natural environment that you can feel your control of. Control at my farm is the ability to choose what your going to do during that day whether its growing crop, relaxing, exercising either by 4-wheeling or dirt biking or anything like that.

A few weekends ago my father and I went turkey hunting, as we do every weekend during turkey season. I had become very tired since it was about 7:30 and I had woken up at 3:30 to get ready. I without thinking, asked my dad if I could lay down to sleep, and if he saw anything he could shoot it. He responded “No problem,” fixed me up a padded bed with our hunting equipment and he went on hunting. The significance of that example is the difference in results between that hunt and a day at school. The outcome of dozing off in class would probably be me getting teased, lectured, and in great trouble. While at the farm everything goes more naturally and we just take the day is it comes to us.

Lessons that are learned at the farm come mainly from working hard in the field, on fencing, or with tractors. While the farm is very rural and uncivilized you actually learn many lessons that you learn at school pretty quickly. Learning how to work as a team is necessary at the farm, there is probably not a single farm ran by just one person. Learning to learn from your mistakes is the most natural one I can think of that occurs at the farm. The significance of these lessons is that you really are learning lessons that you learn in school except learning them by riding tractors and dirt biking, and working, rather than doing the work on paper.

Many people believe that a farm in the country is nowhere to go, yet I believe it is an escape into a more natural flowing world.