why give up?

Christopher - st louis, Missouri

I was standing in front of the judges in my belt test after an hour and a half of kicks, punches, and sparring. Then, through the ringing in my ears, I heard the next command, “Do all of your katas together.” As I heard these words, a wave of despair hit me. I can’t go on. I am too tired to move. But, I found the strength somewhere inside me to continue and did not give up. Throughout my life I have found that I believe in never giving up. Through my years in martial arts and scouting, I have learned that giving up gets you nowhere in life. Without people who were persistent and hard working, what would the world be like?

As I described above, my instructor was pushing me to my limits. In order to advance to the next belt, you need to know many things and execute them in any state of stress. This belt test was for my green belt, and it was my hardest test yet. It tested a lot of combinations and techniques that I know in martial arts, and I had to demonstrate mastery for the judges. The belt test in total was two and a half hours long and very grueling and difficult.

In Boy Scouts we do activities that often are challenging, such as very long hikes and tough service projects that may include building bridges or clearing a ten-mile trail. Scouting can be fun but requires good organizational skills and can be time consuming. Despite the challenges, I have never given up in scouts. I hope to ultimately achieve Eagle.

In scouting, there is a prestigious order called the Order of the Arrow. You get voted into this Order by your peers. When I was inducted into the Order, I had to go through a day of service without talking and we were given little or no food. As you can guess, this was really tiring and we were all close to giving up. When it was finished we were relieved to be done and go through the ceremony. After we were inducted, we found out that we had to perform one of three services to the Order as a requirement to achieve the next rank. I chose the one that sounded like the coolest and easiest but soon found out that it was not. I found that although the ceremonialist team looked fun and easy, it was difficult and involved memorizing major parts in the ceremony. Subsequently, I decided to be the Chief in the ceremony and therefore had pages of lines that I had to memorize. It was very frustrating at times but I found that once I had learned the lines, the part was fun and easy to play. Throughout all the challenges of the induction and the ceremonialist team, I never gave up.

Through my experiences in life thus far, I have found that if you live your life without ever giving up, you will find that the rewards will be great. By never giving up, I hope to be successful in whatever path I ultimately choose in life.