religious people

chelsea - USA

Religious People

I believe that in today’s world people try to shove religion down my throat, and religion has lost it true meaning. People always try to tell me that if I don’t go to church I will go to hell. My belief is that if I believe in God then I will be ok. I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with going to church, but when people judge me and tell me that I am going to hell for the way I look or dress, church loses its meaning.

I went to Prestonwood Baptist Church with my boyfriend once. I was expecting prayer, songs, and praise. But all that was there were judgmental, money hungry people. The people at the church acted like they were better than everyone else. The whole service was about how much money they had raised and how much money the church was going to spend on a new facility; the total was over a million dollars. Church at Prestonwood wasn’t to me a real church service; it was all about glamour and money. Don’t get me wrong plenty of people go to church for the right reasons, but some don’t.

The reason why I feel this way is because when I went to Prestonwood, I looked different than everyone. I had three different colors in my hair and I dressed differently from everyone else. I was stared at the whole time and people wouldn’t talk to Chris or me. As we were walking to the service, an older woman stopped me and asked me what was wrong with my hair and started laughing at me. I was very shocked and offended. Just because I looked different, people treated me badly. I always thought that good church people didn’t judge, but apparently I was wrong. Just because people look different doesn’t mean to treat them like they are freaks. Everyone has his/her own style and opinions and people should learn to respect it even though they don’t agree. As the old quote goes “don’t judge a book by its cover”, more people should follow this quote. Another reason I feel this way is because the whole time I was there all the people were talking about money. But being all about money is called greed, and isn’t that a sin?

People preach so much about religion and living your life by the bible. I use my own moral judgment to decide between right and wrong. I believe my parents have raised me well enough that I can make good choices.

Religion to me has lost its true meaning. Of course I’m not saying that all churches are there for the wrong reasons, but the true religious experience has been lost. Everyone is entitled to his/her own beliefs and opinion. So people should learn to respect that and not try to force their own ways on me.