Living Through Laughing

Earl - St. Louis, Missouri

The game had just ended. We had lost by one run which we could have stopped. The whole team gathered and the coach gave the usual pep talk which no one listened two. This was our chance to end our losing streak. We had blown it. Everyone was looking down at thier muddy cleats filled with regret. Then, out of nowhere, someone yelled out, “If anyone asks…we say we won!” We all laughed and just like that all the sorrow and regret faded into happiness. The ball game was over and we just laughed it off.

I believe in laughter. I believe that people are truly happiest when they are laughing. When someone genuinely laughs they are happy and that is the simplistic truth. No matter how sad a person is and no matter what has taken place when they laugh they forget about all thier troubles and are happy.

Even in the most dire of situations laughter comes through. My great-grandmother had died. My whole family was sitting in folding chairs listening to the priest talk. The sun was bright but it may as well have been raining. Everyone had thier heads down and many were crying. My mom walked up to the podium at the front and began telling stories about my great-grandmother. She talked about her funny habits and her apparent inability to leave a message on an answering machine. Everyone was laughing. Everyone became happy at the funny memories presented to them. There were no longer faces of sadness but faces of happy recollection. When the laughter started the happiness was right on its tails as it always seems to be.

I believe in laughter. People laugh because they are happy. I have learned that in many instances people are happy because they laugh. Laughter can can make you happy no matter how mad, sad, tired, or annoyed you are. That is what makes laughter important. That is what makes laughter special. In my short years I have learned something important that I see adults still struggling to discover. I have learned to laugh.