I Believe in Swinging for the Fences

Matthew - Harlingen, Texas

I Believe in Swinging for the Fences

I believe in playing baseball. I’ve done it all my life. Every day I go out there and give it my all. Some say that I’m an all-star and others say I am a natural. However when I stop to think I have to admit that really baseball for me has not come that naturally. It’s actually been the toughest game I’ve ever known. I’ve hit a couple of homeruns here and there but there has not always been glory. Baseball is definitely a pitcher’s game and your triumph all comes down to what pitch you get and how you handle it.

One time I was up to bat and I got a curve ball. I remember as if it was yesterday though I was only eleven. My father and mother decided to divorce. From one day to the next it seemed that my father was gone. I didn’t know how to act, or what to say. I was so confused; I think I swung and missed. How I dread that damn curve ball. But I’ve seen more and put them in play. This let me know that those curve balls life throws are not impossible to hit. They’re there to build character, to teach you, but not to bring you down.

Let me tell you about those fast balls that fly right by. I was a senior in high school when I was offered a full paid baseball scholarship to Lindenwood University. I had to make a choice that would forever change my life. My parents wouldn’t help me. It was my decision. I called the recruiter and told him I was ready. Once I was there in front of him and saw the papers I needed to sign, I backed out. I don’t know why. By the time I realized that fastball had gone by. This was the biggest mistake of my life. Those fast balls I learned you have to jump on or they’re gone before you know it.

Oh, but then there are those change ups and those are my favorite. I met my girlfriend two years ago and my life completely changed. Now not only was I loved in ways that I had never known, but I was now a father to the most beautiful baby girl in the world. My life had quite a change of pace just like that change up pitch does, but every day I come home from work or school I thank the Lord for it. This pitch is my favorite and every day I continue to embrace it.

Baseball is the sport that I’ve learned the most from, I really must admit. Over the years I’ve learned how to deal with all the pitches that come my way. I’ve learned to be patient on those curve balls; it will eventually clear up. I’ve learned to jump at opportunities when those fastballs fly by. Then I’ve learned to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view of that beautiful change up.