The Meaning of Freedom

Andrew - Plano, Texas
Themes: freedom

The Meaning of Freedom

I believe freedom is the most essential factor in my life. Without freedom, I am not able to do or have everything I might want. Freedom gives me the ability to choose what religion I practice, where I live, and who I vote for which are some things Americans usually take for granted. I believe the average American doesn’t even think about what it took to be able to step into a voting booth and cast his or her vote for President. I believe they don’t even think about how many men and women paid the ultimate price just so that we can call this country “free”. There is no other country on this planet that offers anyone the chance for a new, fresh start to their lives and the opportunity to do and be whatever it is that they desire. I believe that’s the true meaning of freedom. When I call myself an “American”, I truly say “I am free”. “The land of the free” is everything I believe freedom stands for today.

If I did not have to opportunity to choose become the person I want and do the job I want, then our society would be similar to that of the former communist Soviet Union. The Soviet people were not given the freedom to choose their job. They were forced to work specific jobs, for certain wages no matter how well they did their job. Everyone lived in the same homes, and everyone was identical in the way they lived their lives. They weren’t given the freedom to be unique. Because I have that freedom, I can be unique and be a separate individual.

I believe I am a knowledgeable person because I have the freedom to learn and be educated. I also have resources available such as books, TV, magazines, and newspapers that tell me what’s going on outside of my country and inform me on the issues in the world. In communist China, the government only allows the people to watch certain TV channels in which the government runs, and only allows certain books which preach the values the government wants the people to have. The Chinese people are very restricted in their education and the only things they are told about the outside world is that it is evil and everything they need is already in China. As an American, I am allowed to learn about whatever it is that I want, and read any books I want, or watch any TV I want. I believe usually I take that for granted almost all of the time and I don’t take full advantage of something that many people don’t have.