A Greek American Belief

Constantinos - Barrington, Illinois

I believe that life here in the United States is the best quality of life that is provided by the world. This is what I believe because my grandparents raised me this way. Even though the quality of life here in the United States is pure ambrosia, I still have my difficulties. As a Greek American, that was born and raised here in the United States, I was raised by my grandparents because my parents always had to work. As a result certain ideas were bestowed upon me that made me who I am today. These beliefs of who to marry, how to act towards others, and what my perspective on the Greek Orthodox Church should be, makes me who I am today.

My parents and my grandparents are all one- hundred percent Greek. As a result of being pure bloods they want my brother and I to keep the blood line pure. To ensure that this happens my grandparents always told me stories about my brother and I always marrying a beautiful Greek woman that would cook and clean in the house. Since these stories were repeated to me over a fourteen year span I have learned to believe that one day I will find a Greek girl to marry and that there is no other girl that’s out there that will make me as happy as her. The part that I really don’t put much emphasis on is finding a Greek woman that will cook and clean the house because I believe that it’s ok for women to have a job and work. My grandparents came from a village though, and that’s what the mentality was back then and so that’s what they thought me. What makes this idea tough though is that since I’m in American school I’m surrounded my Americans and others that aren’t of my culture and so when I see them dating it makes me pretty sad because I start to believe then that I will never find a soul mate.

Besides believing that I have to marry a Greek girl my grandparents have taught me that I should respect everyone including those that hate me. As a result of following this philosophy I have made many people who resent me into better people because they have learned to respect me because I respect them. This philosophy has also helped me with teachers in the sense that I have made many teachers friends because of the way I talk to them. Overall this advice of treating others the way I want to be treated has been the best philosophy that my grandparents have shared with me.

The final piece of philosophy that my grandparents taught me was to respect the Greek Orthodox Church. As a result of following this faith I have learned to become a more peaceful person than many others in my school. I have also never felt lonely because I know that wherever I go God is with me.