Corey - Fruitport, Michigan

I believe everyone in the world is a hypocrite. I can safely say this because it takes a hypocrite to know a hypocrite—and I am a hypocrite. I hear people talking and saying they despise others for certain actions when in fact they have done the same thing at some point or another. To think you’re not a hypocrite means you are a hypocrite. Just think of it as a double-sided blade: either way, you’re going to get cut. How deep the wound depends on you.

There is no single person in this world except maybe Jesus himself who isn’t a hypocrite. I do things I dislike and criticize other people for doing them as well. Is there really a way to beat this? From the day we are born, were hypocrites. We may not know it but we are. It comes preprogrammed in our brains. Definition of a hypocrite: “A person who pretends to be what he or she is not.” That best describes over half, if not all, of the world’s population. I’ve seen people do things that I would never have imagined. When in public they present themselves the way they want to be seen, not as they truly are.

Take a moment and think. Take a look at anyone, doesn’t matter who, and analyze him or her. Chances are you’re only seeing what they want you to see. Even now as I am writing this, there is still a side of me that you will never see. Have you ever criticized someone for doing something you do in private? Maybe you pick your nose when no one is around, or maybe you dance in your underwear listening to Ricky Martin. If you have done something like this and then denied it, face it, you are a hypocrite. Sadly, everyone must come to terms and realize there is nothing we can do about it.

If this world didn’t have hypocrites, it would not go around. There is a balance to life, some would say. Society needs to have certain people like lawyers, for example, and they rarely tell the truth, only what the judge wants to hear.

The world depends on those who are willing to embrace hypocrisy to defend the rest of us. I believe people should develop a tolerance, maybe even appreciate, hypocrites like me.