You shouldn’t change who you are for others

Bradley - Muskegon, Michigan

This I Believe…

I believe that you should not change who you are for others. For as long as I can remember I have always been on the weird side of things. I always love a good laugh and a great time. I also found a group of friends that are a lot like me and we always have a blast when we were together. Most of my friends didn’t like some clothing stores that I always thought were not bad at all. Eventually I started to not mind those stores.

Then in high school I met another group of people that I thought would be fun to hang out with. So I changed a lot about me to try to fit in, like changing the type of clothes I wear. I’m not going to lie, though; we did have some fun together. I still hung out with my first group of friends so I thought life was great. And heck, I even got one of the girls I had a huge infatuation with to like me. Eventually the group of friends changed. They started doing most, if not all, of the things I don’t agree with like, drinking and smoking. When it happened, I felt like I couldn’t keep up anymore. It even got to the point where I didn’t even want to keep up with their changes.

After a few months of them trying to argue with me about how they hadn’t changed but I had, I ended it with them. Even though I did not want to. It actually felt kind of nice to get rid of that constant need to have a group of people accept me.

After that big mess, I decided to go back to my first group of friends who still liked me “full time,” even though I stopped hanging out with them for a while. It was still nice to know that we had an awful lot of things in common because we still could make a fun time out of anything. I was very ecstatic that they still accepted me for who I was and that not a lot had changed.

The people who like me for who I am are my most trusted friends. They are there for me and make sure I’m always having a fun time when I am around them. When I look at the whole situation I would have never said I changed at the time. Although now when I think about it, I did change and it wasn’t worth it.