Invisible Teachers

Heather - Spring Lake, Michigan

Invisible Teachers

I believe that nothing lasts forever, so I should appreciate what I have now.

As a younger teenager, my mom always told me that I didn’t appreciate how hard my dad worked. I always wondered how she could tell if I was appreciating him or not. Was it that I always wanted more than my share of possessions? Could it have been that no matter how much I accumulated, it was never enough to fulfill my wants? I always questioned how I could show that I appreciated someone else’s hard work and dedication. Showing appreciation has been taught to me every day for the past ten years. How did I miss it?

Back in the summer of 1998 when I was ten, my family decided it was time for our first dog. Something drew me to the Pekinese in of the humane society. Ever since that day pugsley has been nothing but loyal to me. Through all my hardships of growing up, she has been by my bedside listen to me cry at night. She has been my best friend. Ten years later at age fifteen she is still running, though I can see that she wants to let go. Every time I hit a bump on the road of life, I expect her to be there for me. As her time nears, I know she won’t be alive forever. She will not be there to cry with when I need her most. For the past few months I have taken to heart the times that I can cry with her and remember that our time is running short. I am learning to appreciate her by laughing at her when she is trying so hard to beg, or merely watch her stride in the back yard. What I failed to realize that she will not be alive forever, I wont always have her around when I need her.

My mom has shown the most dedication and hard work. From May 22, 1990 till today she has been watching over me and trying her best to teach me everything I need to know for the “real world”. In return, I have always fought with her, never understanding why she is always on my case. About three weeks ago we lost a friend in our church to cancer. Sue had a long hard fight, and eventually the cancer won. She had two grown sons, neither married yet. When their mother died, I realized that she would never be able to see her kids get married, or to meet her first grandchild. I saw that she wouldn’t be able to live every mother’s dream. It made me see that my mom will to be there, cheering me on when I graduate high school, and coaching me when I have my son. I know that I will see a smiling, proud face in the front pew when I am standing at the alter repeating my vows. When I need a shoulder to lean on or a promising “it’s going to be okay,” I know I can count on her for the rest of our days. I realize that all the ranting and raving was her way of showing she appreciated and cared for me.

Although I should have known all along, it took someone else’s tragedy to teach me this important lesson of life. Appreciate what you have while you have it because eventually it will be gone.