Up and Down

Charles - st louis, Missouri

Up and Down

Life is like a roller coaster in that it has ups and downs.~ In other words, life has good and bad.~ When life is bad, it has to get better later. You could have a terrible day and gain something great. Even little things happen, like bumping your toe and when you look down at your toe, you see the quarter you need for something. Life sometimes comes though in unexpected ways. This was demonstrated to me on my first day of school and again while preparing for a science fair.

On my first day of school, I was so nervous I could barely see straight. I had no friends and knew no one. This was going to be the worst day of my life. I was so confused that day; I went to the wrong class twice that morning and at last found my class. Finally, lunch arrived and then recess time. It was a nice day and our class decided to eat outside. I ate on a bench by myself, lonely and upset. I was ready to call my mom and ask her to come pick me up, but suddenly, someone came up to me and asked if I wanted to sit at their table. Being the new kid, I cautiously accepted the invitation. He showed me where he was sitting. There was one other person at the picnic table. We told each other’s names said a few jokes. After lunch, I asked Nathaniel, the person who came to rescue me from my loneliness, why he did. He said because he was in the same position the year before at his preschool, along with Nate, the other person at the table. The bad day I was having on my first day of school gave me friends for the rest of my life.

In the fifth grade, my science teacher told me to enter the science fair.~ I said that I would go for it and do my best.~ Mr. Sawyer, my science teacher told me I had two months to prepare.~ Every week my mom would ask me if I started my project and every time I would say “Not yet, I’ll work on it next week”.~ Those words were said for several weeks. Eventually it came to the last week. She said that I had one week to finish the whole project.~ I had blown off the entire two months.~ As you could imagine, I worked all night every night to get it done. Finally, I finished, just in time for the science fair.~ The next morning, I woke up and started getting me and my project prepared for the science fair.~ While I was eating breakfast, the phone rang. It was my science teacher announcing that the science fair was postponed until the following week. I was angry. However, a day or two later, I noticed something that needed to be changed on my project. I kept on seeing things that could be changed or made better all week. After all the rearranging done on my project, I walked confidently into the big room with my project in my arms. As soon as I found my desk, a judge came and examined my project intently and asked me what my project was on. For the next 15 minutes, I discussed my project and the man told me to wait. I waited for another hour until someone strolled up to the podium to declare the winners. Soon the speaker announced that I was a blue ribbon finalist. This was awesome, and I owe it all to the good that came from that horrible week.

My life so far has brought me through tough beginnings, but great endings. Like my first day of school and making my best friends or being a finalist in the science fair. Like a roller coaster, there are ups and there are downs in life and sometimes the bad seems as if it will never end, but the good always comes through in the end.