Good Communication Takes Time

Devin - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe that good communication takes time. I was eleven when I got my first cell phone; I had been waiting for so long, and sadly this little, overpriced, electric device changed the way I live my life. Even though I had a phone, instead of talking to someone, I would text message; I would use slang that I could never use anywhere else. I was a changed person.

One time I lost my cell phone. I had no way to get a hold of my mom, and I could not go anywhere, because I could not make a plan. I depended on technology to help me, and when something went wrong, I had no idea how to deal with the situation. I couldn’t even communicate let alone communicate well.

Now, instead of having a conversation with a person you use electronics. “Hey was up” people say. People have lost the originality of writing someone a letter. I think letters are better than e-mails. You do not have the connection with a person when writing an email, as you do with a letter. When you write a letter, you really think about it. When you email it seems to me like it is all about speed. This may be efficient but not always what a person needs when they are talking to someone. They email because it is easier, more efficient, and does not usually cost anything. People are looking for the easy way out and that is not always the best way. Sometimes it takes hard work and knowledge to make something good. Now all you need is a good idea and spell check and you are ready to win an award.

For example, I am a horrible speller and by using spell check, I do not learn anything. I just look at the computer and click the word that looks the best. I think people do not learn as much when using the benefits of technology. It changes the way people communicate because there is no longer eye contact or emotions except for the occasional virtual smiley face here and there. Through technology, you cannot really grasp what a person is trying to tell you. A person could be making a very sarcastic remark as a joke and you could interpret it the wrong way. This can cause a lot of confusion and sometimes many problems.

We cannot always rely on technology just as you cannot rely on someone else all the time. People need to use the time to communicate well, and need to know how to communicate in other ways than just electronics.