Flying High Without My Cape

Elise(CeCe) - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: environment

Flying High Without My Cape

I was a typical three year old. I was crazy, sometimes annoying, but the one thing I wanted the most was to be a superhero. It all started with my blankie, when I tied it around my neck I was anyone I wanted, wonder women, batman, or even superman. I could shoot lasers and fly. As long as I had my cape, I could do anything, even protect my mom from the monster inside the dishwasher, or defeat the evil villain and bring peace and justice to the world. However, the second the cape came off my powers were gone, I wasn’t superman. As I matured I realized I had been too naive to see that I didn’t need the cape to save the world and bring justice, I just needed me, I had the power to save the world all along.

The first time I became interested in global warming I came to the realization that while hurting the Earth is easy, the hardest part can be saving it. In order to win the fight you don’t have to be in a huge protest, convert your house to solar energy, or go vegan, because sometimes the smallest steps are what matter the most in the end. Something so small as choosing to recycle a can makes a large impact. Last year my family decided to change all the light bulbs in our house to energy efficient ones. It was one of the first times I felt like I actually did something to help the world, with just a few tiny light bulbs I could prevent hundreds of pounds of CO2 from going into the air. I wasn’t Al Gore, Superman or a famous actress, yet I did something all by myself to help save the world. This fight isn’t just for people who have a lot of power or who are famous, the fight is won by average people who can do small things every day.

My interest in global warming is a small baby step in a world were there is so much room for one person to make a difference and change others. For many, the first step in turning the tiny seed of their lives into a plant with branches long enough to touch one person or many starts with a role model, so they know in what direction to start.

One person who is one of the most important inspirations in my life is my sixth grade English teacher Mrs. Kendall. Her passion for helping others became apparent when she first told us the story of apartheid in South African and Amy Biel. Amy Biel was against apartheid and during a trip to South Africa was killed. Amy’s story inspired Mrs. Kendall to also help South Africa and many other causes too. To help our school has a weekly candy sale for South Africa. Last year we collected over two thousand dollars for Helping South African and the Amy Biehl Foundation. Another way in which Mrs. Kendall helped others was aiding a school called Scruggs. The Scruggs school does not have much money and many of the children there are from other countries and in ESL. With the help of Mrs. Kendall our class collected toys and school supplies for the children of Scruggs and even wrote our own books for their library. It was very hard work but at the end of the year the Scruggs children got to come to our school were we gave then their own “study buddy” stuffed animal and read them our books. At the end of the day as I walked the little girl I showed around back to her bus she told me something I will always remember “I will never forget you.” Those five words made me realize what Mrs. Kendall was trying to teach us all along, that one person can change the world and even if it means helping just one person, to that one person you made a difference in their life forever.

I’ll admit it, I used to believe that I couldn’t do anything to help anyone else. I thought that job was for the president, superheroes, and Oprah, I felt like I was just supposed to be a spectator to the world around me and whatever happens I could never do anything about it. Now I know when I see something wrong in the world I can help, no matter who I am. This I have learned in my life no matter how short it has been and I hope to teach it to you, this I believe; It doesn’t take a superhero to save the world.