Half Full Kind of Person

Claire - St. Louis, Missouri

If there is a glass of water in front of you that is only filled half way, how would you describe it? Some people would say the glass is half full, while others would say the glass is half empty. I strive to be the half full kind of person. I believe that looking on the bright side is always better than being negative. Negativity spreads fast, but believe it or not, a half full attitude can spread as well.

I have found that I can learn how to be a half full kind of person from the positive people in my life. Take my dad for example. He is gone from home every week because of his job. I know he misses us when he is gone just as much as we miss him. But he calls at least once a day and even though he is lonely he is always positive on the phone even when he tells us how much he misses us. And when he is home, he is always appreciative about being with his family. I could learn a lesson from my dad by trying to stay positive during difficult situations.

Life provides many opportunities for me to practice being a half full kind of person. Not long ago I was playing in a basketball game and I wasn’t playing my best. It’s not that I wasn’t trying hard, I was just having an off day. When the game was over I remember not being able to find one good thing about my performance. I was very discouraged, and during the car ride home I didn’t want to talk. But as I thought about it, I realized that all I could do is try to play better next time and keep practicing. I thought about the things that went wrong in that game and promised myself that I would practice more and be better next time. All I could do was keep improving and so I looked forward to the next game when I could redeem myself.

Being half full means seeing a challenge instead of a problem and seeing an opportunity instead of a hurdle. It takes more effort to be positive, but it is worth it because seeing the glass as half full makes me happier and life more fun. I continuously learn from other people in my life and I may not always be a half full kind of person but I sure try to stay positive in difficult situations. I believe that being a half full kind of person is the only way to live life to its fullest.