Lean on Yourself

Anjola - St. Louis, Missouri

Life is not about using people or asking them to do things for you. To live your life and to achieve all of your goals, you have to believe in yourself. You have to be independent, resourceful, and self-reliant. I’m only thirteen. To tell you the truth, at several points in my life I have depended on people to do things for me. As I get older, I realize that I need to start depending on myself more, and on others less. I need to develop my own ideas about my future. I believe that crutches are used when you are hurt, not to support you throughout your life.

When I was a small child, I was dependent on my parents for almost everything. I needed them to feed me, dress me and take me places. I relied on my parents completely.

Around age nine, I started to have more responsibilities and had to do more things without the help of my parents. For example, I began to choose what I wanted to eat and pack my own lunch. I developed a sense of style and picked out my own clothes. I wore what I wanted wear, not what my parents chose for me. I still needed my parents for some things. They still drove me places and had the final say on when or where I could go. At homework time, I was able to do most work independently, knowing that my mom was there if I needed her.

Now I’m thirteen. Many people probably think that a thirteen year old should be able to do everything for himself. This isn’t realistic. I’m much more independent now than I was when I was younger. I not only choose my own foods but I help prepare meals. I often make breakfast for myself and my sisters. I love to go shopping and buy new clothes. However I’m still dependent on my parents to pay for them. I now plan my own get-togethers with friends, but still rely on my mom and dad for transportation. I complete 90% of homework on my own, going to my parents only for problems I need help on. I am becoming more self-reliant.

My parents have always been there for me when I need them. They have helped me to become responsible and to rely on myself. As I continue to mature, it is important that I develop independent ideas about my future. It is up to me to make decisions about the college I will attend, the career I will choose, and the lifestyle I will lead.

In the past, my parents were a crutch that I used. Today, however, I’m using that crutch less often. In the future, the only crutches I plan to use are the kind one gets when he breaks his leg.