The Mind

Tally - Chesterfield, Missouri

I believe in the power of mind.

The human brain is nothing but a bunch of biological matter, a concrete substance stuffed inside a skull. I believe that within this cluster of concrete material there is something much more complex. I believe that this something is the mind, and with it we can grasp abstract concepts that do not exist in the tangible world. I believe that the miracle of the mind is that it allows us to ask questions, to invent, to learn, to make decisions, and solve problems.

I believe in the mind’s creativity and capacity to ask questions. Albert Einstein possessed one of the most astounding minds of the 20th century. His famous ‘E=MC^2’ started as nothing more as a thought. This spark, nurtured by his curiosity and creativity turned into the work that revolutionized science. It’s remarkable that minds have the ability to stretch beyond the existing and into the unknown.

I believe in the mind’s uncanny ability to learn and grow. Throughout my life I have formed many beliefs that were shaped by my experiences. In the past, I have heard people say mean things about me. I can remember how these hurtful words made me feel and I have decided for myself not to treat other people unkindly. This is just one example of an experience that has shaped my belief. My mind allows me to nurture and develop the beliefs, principles and morals that guide my actions.

The truly incredible thing about the mind is its ability to solve problems. I am able to look at the world around me and spot things that are wrong. The mind can then analyze and look for a solution. Like the oncologists working to find a cure for cancer or physicists searching for alternative fuels, I can try, and try again to find the answers to life’s everyday problems. I think in that lies the importance of the mind. The mind propels us forward.

The brain might be nothing more than a lump in our heads, but the mind is so much more. This I believe.