The Miracle of Medicine

Emily Hereford - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: science

The Miracle of Medicine

I believe in medicine. I believe medicine helps people every day. Without it the population of the world would be much smaller. Millions of people depend on it.

If a person gets a cut on their finger, you might need antibiotics. If you don’t get them into your body the cut could get infected and the infection would spread to your heart and eventually kill you. Scientists work very hard everyday to try and find cures for diseases. They have come a very long way in the last bunch of years. They have found vaccines for diseases that if you contracted in the olden days would have killed you.

My grandmother had a horse named Flower and one day she ate too much grain and coliced. This means her intestines twisted up. The vet came and gave her some medicine and she slowly started to come out of it. Medicine doesn’t only benefit humans but animals as well.

My great aunt was diagnosed with cancer when she was pretty young. She didn’t believe trying to cure herself by using Chemotherapy and the medicine that doctors prescribed her. So she drank tea and tried natural ways or curing herself. She was depending a miracle. Which you cant do.

When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was in the hospital for 4 days and I was on lots of medicine which helped me to stay alive. I am insulin dependent. Before insulin was discovered the people who were diagnosed with diabetes had a very high chance of not living through it. Some people get diagnosed as early as 2 years old. Medicine is the only way of helping you live with diabetes.

We don’t know if medicine would have saved my aunt but we know it is saving me everyday.

Sometimes you have to help your body out by taking medicine. Scientists are working very hard to come up with new cures for diseases. In a million years on a peaceful earth, the only cause of death with be old age.