Katherine - St. Louis, Missouri

John Wooden once said, “The journey is greater that the Inn.” I strongly believe in that quote, however, I would change one thing. I guess I should say that I believe the journey is just as great as the inn.

I believe that you can learn things about people, places, and culture by the journey’s you take. You can learn what to do, and what not to do. You learn things that are so different; you can’t even believe there is something like that in the world to learn.

I use to not believe in this, I use to hate plane rides, car rides, anything like that- I use to wish that you could snap your fingers, and you would be there in an instant. So, whenever we traveled I was in a bad mood, until one plane ride to Mexico I didn’t realize how much you can learn form a journey, and how much you can experience.

So, as you can imagine, I was in a bad mood, and we were just about to leave St. Louis to fly to Mexico. To make things worse, there were two Mexican kids sitting behind me, going back to Mexico for the first time. And they were excited about their first plane ride ever. As the flight went on, I heard some of their conversations. They loved it, either they were looking out the window, eating pretzels and drinking soda, or they were reclining in their chairs going back and forth, back and forth. When the pilot would mention how we just went through a rough cloud, they would say to each other, “Wow! We just went through a cloud!” and when we were about to land in Mexico, and you could see the water, the land, and the roads, all they could mention was, “Whoa! I’ve never seen anything this high up. It looks so different!” When the plane ride was over, they were upset. All I could hear from them as I stepped off the airplane was how they wished the flight had been longer.

I never saw those kids again, and I didn’t really expect to either, but I thought about what they had said to each other, about the bumpy cloud, and seeing the land from the sky. And I thought, to myself how much those kids had learned and how much they got to see, and what they got to experience. And then I realized I got to see and feel it too. But I never had paid much attention before on any other plane ride. I had learned something. I had learned what it felt to be through a bumpy cloud. I had learned what it looks like from a birds eye view. I now knew, more that what I knew before. Then, I realized the journeys that you take in life will take a place in your heart that you will remember forever, because of all that you learned, and the memories they hold.

Out of all the trips I have taken, I hold memories of fun times with families, friends, or both. Even trips to swim team practice, or to parties- I have memories of all of them, because the journey is just as great as the inn. That is what I believe.