No Characters Allowed

Keith - Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

All my life there has been something that has puzzled me. There are many professional athletes who make million and millions of dollars. But, it seems normal that if an athlete got a 15 million dollar offer to turn it down. I don’t understand why these greedy- rich- money sucking- pros can’t be happy with be paid more then the average American. Playing sports is one of the biggest paying professions, but the people who play these sports are unhappy. Play the game and stop complaining. This is why I believe a true athlete should have character, not be a character.

Everyday you may come by a sports channel. If you actually watch for a little bit you usually see a professional turning down some offer because they think they are better than that. Even if they are better than that, why must they be so greedy. Take Alex Rodriguez for instance; the New York Yankees offered him 22 million dollars which would’ve made him the highest paid baseball player in the Major Leagues of Baseball. To me that’s more than what he deserved even though he is a very good baseball player. I thought it was too much and Alex thought it wasn’t enough. Even though I am a big Rodriguez fan he doesn’t have to be so greedy. After, that the Yankees offered him more money (27 million dollars) which he did accept making his salary more than the whole Florida Marlins baseball team.

I believe a pro athlete should get paid the same amount maybe a little bit more than the average American. Pros went through college with; determination, confidence, bragging rights, and just having fun. This is the game they love, so much money is not necessary. All this does is make these people more money hungry. By paying these athletes so much money they just become more focused on money than the game. In addition to that they don’t deserve so much. They are playing because they want to play, so there is no reason for a team to pay them millions of dollars to do something they love. I imagine a professional conversation to be like this:

“Hey Brian Roberts.” Said coach

“Hey what’s up coach?”

“I will pay you 15 million dollars to play the game you’ve played all your life.”

“No, that’s not enough! I need a new sports car.” Replied Brian

“Fine, 20 million.” Offered coach again

“You’ve got yourself a deal.” Said Brian

These professionals are so ungrateful, and inconsiderate. People in foreign countries would die for 1 million dollars and these money hungry thieves are complaining because 15 million is not enough. This is why I believe a true athlete should have character not be a character. In other words play the game for the game not because you want fame or fortune. This I believe.