Companionship

Kimberly - Richardson, Texas

I believe that pets bring a certain companionship to everyday life. When people get a pet, it is for many reasons. One of the reasons is a companion; to not be alone. There is a saying that old people, who are retired, is not very happy because they have to go to a lot of funerals which also means that there are less people to talk to with the same age. Their solution is to buy a pet for a companion so they will not be alone and depressed. Companionship is important but it does not necessary mean you need to buy a pet. There are programs in certain hospitals that bring in pets to patients who are bounded to the beds in the hospital for a long time. Lying in a bed is very boring and will sometime affect the patient’s health in a negative way. Volunteer arrives to the hospitals with their dogs, cats, donkeys and visits patients buy letting them pet and play with the animals. It makes the patients smile, the volunteer smile, and nurses and doctors smile. Companionship does not always mean you need to get or see a pet, sometimes it means you just need a human friend. I believe with young children in elementary school must have at least one friend. When a child does not have any friend, they grow up not knowing how to communicate well with others which affects work because work is always in a group. When the child does not have any friends their language is impeached because how can they practice their English when there is no one to talk to. When a child do not have a friend to play with but when an opportunity arises in the future, they do not know how to cope with being around people. They begin to feel they do not belong in this world, they do not belong with people, but they feel lonely without people and their deep desire is to interact with people. Friends can help with all of these problems. Friends know deeply who the child is, what they like, and is someone to talk to.

When I was growing up I was considered the odd ball, a weirdo, a quiet little girl, clumsy, and always somehow not paying attention. I grew up in elementary with no friends, as a result I grew up not being able to communicate well with others, which is the worst thing I hate about myself. But so far I’ve gotten better because on my last semester of 5th grade, I acquired a friend. My first friend showed me how to be more active around people, how to talk and communicate with people, and helping me to stop hiding in a corner all by myself. She made me feel more alive, that I can live in this world. She is just like a pet, a companion to talk to like how great it makes old people feel they have someone to talk to. Companionship helps people feel happy about themselves, and a reason to live.