Everyone has a Disability

Lauren - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: setbacks

Everyone has a disability

It all started at age 7 when I found out that I had a hearing disorder and a learning disability. I never new what it was or how it would affect my life. I was ashamed of my disability and used to give up easily through my elementary years. I was so ashamed of my disability until I heard of one my peers say, “I’m not smart and I will never be normal”. That day I had a realization and I finally learned that I better use my specialness rather then waste it. You can’t imagine how the slightest mind shift can change things dramatically. It’s hard for those who learn “normally/easily” to comprehend how a learning disability will change you. It changes everything about who you are. I’m can now look back and appreciate and be proud of my disability.

When I was young I tried to hide my disability because I didn’t want any one to know. It took me 6 years to finally understand that I’m worth something. With determination and hard work I know now that I can accomplish my goals and dreams. Everyone has some type of disability (diagnosed or not) that brings new challenges to their lives. Being different can have its advantages.

Now, that I’m 14 years old, I believe that every person in the world has some form of a disability. It isn’t what disability you have but how you use your disability to make positive changes. I know from personal experience that my disability is who I am. I am an advocate for my disability and im not ashamed to stand up for what I believe in.

Finally, I would never categorize myself as a normal person; I’d rather be an individual who knows what they want. I’ve watched myself grow and now when I look in the mirror I see a self assured young woman. I am an intelligent young woman who has a voice of her own and isn’t afraid to use it. I’m not afraid to fight for what’s fair and right.

From the day I realized that I had a gift, I’ve tried to share it with others. “Can’t” is not a word in my vocabulary because “can’t” means that you are too afraid to try or you’ve given up. No matter how big or small a goal I set is; I will finish what I set out to accomplish. I believe in my heart that each of us have some type of disability or obstacle that we have to overcome. We also all have a special gift that comes from our obstacles. What matters most is what kind of person you are and, how you live your like that matter.