I Believe I am My Best Teacher

McKinley - Waite Hill, Ohio

It all began on a snow day. This was the second one in a row so I was bored out of my mind. I was listening to the song, “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys and thought to myself, how cool would it be if I could play this on the piano? I rummaged through the give-away-closet for the old keyboard I got for Christmas when I was 9. I dug through all the piles of old clothes and toys, and couldn’t find it. I paused for a moment, looking around, and there it was, placed on the shelf, the old toy that was soon to be my new favorite thing. My keyboard.

I obviously didn’t have a piano teacher so I looked up on Youtube, how to play piano. There were millions of things that came up but the first link was GoTitans999. His name was Ryan, and he was now my new teacher. It didn’t take long to learn how to play the right or left hand of the song, so I thought I was meant to be the greatest piano player in the world. I then realized that to play the piano, you need to put together what you learned on the right hand and what you learned on the left hand, and play them together. This was the challenging part. I got frustrated when I couldn’t do it and said I quit! About an hour later I thought back to the song and thought about how much I loved it. I thought about how amazing it would be to go to school and say I can play the piano. This got me motivated to start again and I told myself I would get better with practice. My parents always told me quitters never win the game, so I promised myself not to quit this time. And let me tell you, practice does make perfect! By the time all the snow days were over and school started again the next week I could play, “If I Ain’t Got You,” “No One,” “Boston,” “Dreaming With A Broken Heart,” and part of “Roses” by Outkast. For the next month and a half all I thought about was playing the piano. I memorized all the notes, tried to learn new songs and I loved it. My friends all tell me I need to get a real piano teacher because I need to learn properly and I would enjoy it more with a teacher. I disagree with all of them because I believe that if you want something, and I mean really want something, you can achieve it with or without a teacher. At times, it may be difficult to learn without a teacher, and I could get one if I really wanted one, but there is something about learning the songs on my own, well with Ryan, that makes it that much more difficult and that much more fun to play.

I am so thankful for those two snow days that gave me the chance to learn something new. My life would be so different if I didn’t play the piano because now, there isn’t a day that goes by without me sitting down and playing just one part of a song. I know how I learn best; therefore I am my best teacher. Piano is my passion, and to this day I still play and I still love it, without a teacher.