From My Head To My Heart

Elisabeth - Thomaston, Connecticut

I believe in God. It’s a belief that is woven into the very tapestry of who I am. I would not be the person I am today if it wasn’t for my faith. Many people cannot fathom this, especially after I tell them that I’m chemistry major with the ambition to become a doctor. They always seem to ask me how you can be a scientist and believe in God. My response is simply – how can you not?

In all I’ve read and studied thus far I never once doubted that God is real. In fact, science is just one more thing that helped to strengthen my faith. When I study the molecular orbitals and the many intricate patterns in nature I see the signature of the one who created it all.

For example, in chemistry many equations involve constant expressions. Such as Planks constant or the Faraday constant. These are numbers that kept falling out of equations when early scientists did their experiments. There are many fundamental relationships in chemistry involving these constants. When I see these constants though, and their many applications, I am also reminded of the most important “constant” there is – God.

My belief in God is not just based on what I see in science though, there’s much more to it than that. My faith was born a lot earlier than my studies of science, for me science just confirms what I already knew. My faith in God is a deep seeded belief that was born out of hardship and trial.

You see, I was born in church, I grew up in church and I tried to live the nice perfect church lifestyle. I thought I had it all figured out — then I got sick. The doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me for almost two years. My parents also ended up separating during the same period of time. My perfect little world wasn’t so perfect anymore.

So, as result of all these situations I began to become very depressed. I was completely miserable every day. Life didn’t seem worth it anymore, and there were many moments where I just wanted it all to end. The darkness that my life had become didn’t seem able to end. Something finally did begin to change though. It started when I stopped knowing the simple church facts about God. I finally began to know Him for who He was. My knowledge of God dropped from my head to my heart. In the midst of this storm God became my Savior, my Creator, my Redeemer, my joy and MY strength. I began to finally draw power from the only one who could truly understand the deepest parts of my soul.

I still have hard times; everyone knows that life isn’t always easy. I’ve changed though. I’ve truly learned to depend on God. As a result He’s given me the strength to withstand every trial that comes my way.

So you see, I love science, but God is the be all and end all in my life. He’s the very reason I live. The more I study science in its complexity and awesomeness, and the more I think about what God has done in my own life, I come to one conclusion. There is a God. This I believe.