Lyrics of Life

Joel - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe in poetry. I believe that everyone’s opinions, faith, and feelings can be and should be expressed in a personal way, whether written on paper, sung out loud, or screamed at the top of the lungs. A person’s individuality gives him life, so why not share it?

I love writing poetry; it is like writing simplicity. I cannot think of a better method of bringing across my point of view to others. I just pour my thoughts and emotions on a piece of paper, creating a perfect, artistic fantasy. If I feel depressed, I write of a lonely girl who has lost all she ever loved; and if I am cheerful, I write of a prosperous day for an unlucky man. Edgar Allan Poe, a renowned poet of the nineteenth century, was famous for his morbid sense of writing; of course, I would be, too, if I faced abandonment by most of my family. Poe was not like any other poet; his works frightened readers and received heavy criticism, but he did not care. My thoughts and my outlook on life make me who I am, and if I do not act like myself, I will self-destruct.

Poetry is found in music as well. The songs that we all sing carry tunes with different feelings, such as romance, hate, misery, jealousy, and many others. We sing songs to make us content, release us from boredom, or cover up emotional pain with melodious comfort. Most of today’s music influences a rebellious attitude, to go against the crowd and be eccentric. I agree with this motivational idea because, in my opinion, uniformity is demonic. I would soon rather die than blend in with a throng of unvarying people and pretend to be someone I am not. I refuse to be told to walk, talk, think, or write poetry a certain way. If I do not have my uniqueness, I have nothing.

Most people do not realize that they use poetry every day in their own conversations. Individuals, like myself, express their opinions and life stories in simple dialogue, describing how furious, famished, or facetious they are, without carrying a rhythm. We all add different tones to our poetic discussions with our variety of accents, vocabulary spans, and levels of seriousness, whether we are being sarcastic or not. Humor is a device that I use every day in everything. Hilarity keeps me the way I am, alive. Without my wit I am just another average-grade-school boy who cannot decide his future. I may write dramatic, poignant poems, but my life is a limerick that dances to the beat of its own drum.

I believe poetry is found in all of our everyday lives, expressing who we are and molding us into who we will become. Each person is unique; like snowflakes, no two people are the same. We should let the lyrics of our lives define who we are, not the opinions of others. That is poetry.