Carpe Diem

Courtney - wethersfield, Connecticut
Themes: carpe diem

Growing up in a household with both parents at an early age had its ups and downs. At the age of seven my parents decided it was time for a divorce. This was something that did not really impact me at first because I would always witness them arguing so I thought this was the best thing. It hit me about a week or two when my dad was not home like he usually was. This definitely impacted my relationship with my father since I didn’t see him on a daily basis.

Not so long after I was introduced to my first funeral. I must say it was an experience I would never forget. I never had a feeling in my stomach that was so sharp before. I have never felt so down in my life after witnessing my first funeral. Something I constantly heard after the funeral was the Latin phrase “Carpe Diem”. I always grew up hearing that certain statement over and over and I continually hear to this day. Carpe diem means seize the day; enjoy the present, as opposed to placing all hope in the future. My family always tells me to seize every moment of the day. My mom always scolded me when I was applying for jobs, as she would always tell me not to wait and hope I would get a call from the employer. She always told me to take the initiative and call them before they called me. My parents would also get on my case when I used to sleep in late. I would always hear, “Why are you sleeping so late? By time you wake up your day is going to be over. Seize the day and go do something because you cannot take life for granted”.

I believe this principle has shaped me to be the person I am to this day. I hardly ever procrastinate with anything anymore because of this principle that was embedded in me at a young age. Honestly, there are some days when I sleep in but I feel nasty and disgusting to a point when I need to get up and do something. I always witness how my mom makes the best out of everything she does. She never sits around and waits for things to happen. She is always the first person to not just want change, but she makes change. That is the person I grew to be!