This I Believe: Friendship

Amy - Ellsworth, Maine
Themes: death, family

My grandfather was one of the most caring, trustworthy, supportive and helpful individual I have ever met. Whenever I needed something, I would always go to him for guidance and although he didn’t have all the answers, he did his best.

On March 30, 2008 I lost one of my best friends and biggest supporters, my grandfather. My grandfather was one of the strongest people I have ever met and when I learned of the fall he had that morning I knew that he would stick it out and be fine. That afternoon when my mom called me and told me that he had passed away I knew that he must have been strong and tried until the end. My grandfather was always there for me and was an amazing friend. When I had an injury and couldn’t play tennis, I went to my grandfather, just like I would go to one of my friends, and he supported me through it all. I learned many lessons on that day, one being always cherish everyone, everyday and the other being that friendship and family are the two best gifts. When I heard of my grandfather’s unexpected death, I immediately needed two things, friends and family.

I have been without my grandfather for about a week, and it has been one of the hardest weeks of my life, but when I come up to my room at night and see all the flowers and cards from friends and family I realize that through this loss, my friends have really been there for me and I realized that all of them really care.

“A friend is one who walks in when others walk out” (Walter Winchell). One of the best gifts was when six of my very good friends waited two hours in line to come see me at my grandfathers visiting hours. When I saw them coming through the doors after waiting out in the cold, I realized that my friends really do care and they did something that was out of there way, even when they were late for their softball practice. Even through the hardest of times my friends really helped me through and even though I lost one of my favorite people and best friends, I realized that my friends mean the world to me and friendship is everything.

The hardest thing in life is losing someone that you love and the things gained from loses are the best things. Friendship is something that everyone should cherish and everyone should love. Friends will be there through the hardest of times and will always be there until the end. Whether you are meeting someone for the first time or you have been friends with them since kindergarten, they can be there until the end and help you through, thick or thin.