Learning; a Life Time Skill Everyone Needs

Sonia - Kansas City, Missouri

I believe in being a sponge. You should always be learning, searching, questioning. If you don’t know where a country is, go look it up. If someone uses a big word you don’t know, the dictionary is right there! One can never stop learning, and you can learn by accident.

I once, way back in 5th grade, told a close friend a juicy secret, and by the end of the day, it was all over the school. The person the secret was about became really mean to me and I felt horrible. After that experience, I was taught one of the most important life skills, making sure your friends are true blue. Looking back, I realized that girl never really was a friend, but I was new to the school, and I needed someone to lean on. I learned how to weed out the bad friends too. That skill is important to function in society.

In school, I have learned to focus on the lessons. My math class moves fast and if I miss a day, your grades show it. I have learned to learn from my math teacher. I now know important study skills and note taking strategies to help me get that ever elusive A+ on a test.

When I memorize scripts, I have to be able to focus and learn what is going on behind the lines. I have learned to really infer about the character’s feelings and what they mean when they say a certain thing. You have to learn about that character, and get really personal with them; maybe more than you would with yourself. By learning about the character, I can also learn about myself. When someone evaluates a person, they also unconsciously evaluate themselves. I look for similarities to help me transition into that person’s life. This is something you could never learn out of a textbook.

Your brain in a magical thing, it can hold tons of information, but it controls your emotions and thoughts too. To function, I have to learn to have the control these parts. I can’t just say anything anytime I want, and when I do say something, I have to make sure it’s not hurtful. I have to be able to register when you are cold or hot and learn to dress accordingly, and eat until I’m full. All of these things are usually automatic or common sense, but you would be surprised to see how many people need to learn those things.

We learn everyday, either at school, interacting with other people, or just being alone. You can never “not learn,” and you can never say you’re done learning because even when you’re 92 years old, you can always learn that you have a lot to learn.