Music is My Anti-drug

Marie-Louise - Kansas City, Missouri

I believe that a simple song can change my mood. There are so many things that can be affected by music and although it can’t save the world, it can make me happier and make my day better. If I’m upset, then I’m sure there is at least one song to either make me feel better, or help me in some way. Listening to my favorite song can be the one thing to change my perspective on things. But even not listening to my favorite, but just a song, can make a difference. I get so much from music.

Music can sometimes bring back memories that I have forgotten and just need to remember, like friends or different experiences, and music can bring people closer together. One night I didn’t have much else to do, so I spent some time with my parents, listening to music. We listened to songs that they enjoyed while growing up and I loved it. I realized that I even really liked most of them. It felt great, that they could share something like this with me, that we could have this in common, music. I’m not saying that this made us extremely closer, but there was a connection made that wasn’t there before.

When I feel sad about something, I always listen to music. Different kinds usually, depending on the reason that I’m sad. When listening to music, it doesn’t make me happy, but it reminds me of something in some way, and I feel better. It’s like I got out what I needed to and I don’t have to deal with ignoring it anymore.

Music isn’t just for memories and connections with people I know, but also just for times I need to feel happy, silly even. I sometimes just need to be free and do anything, and music can make me feel like I can be anyone, like I can do anything. Dancing and singing with favorite songs can change my days. I can get affected by something as simple as music very easily.

Music doesn’t categorize me either. I like as many things as I want, and I don’t care because music is one of the few things people can’t truly judge me on. Music is an essential thing in life and although the same kind of music isn’t everywhere, there is still music, shared all over the world, and I love it.