The Good side of things

William Kanan - Prairie Village, Kansas

I believe that you should look on the bright side of life and enjoy it. Too many people in the world look at the bad side of things and focus too much on revenge, and hatred. I think life is like missing a bus, you had a chance to ride it and now you have to wait for another chance and take advantage of it. Most people get a lot of chances however some people don’t do anything about it. More and more people every year are starting to let life just pass by without taking advantage of it.

I think that in at least one time in a person’s life they should just stop thinking about what going to happen next and just think about what’s happening now. I not saying for them just to forget about everything I just saying that a person should just one time stick all of the stress in the back of their mind and focus on what’s happening in the present.

Other people think that the only way to stop and enjoy the present is to take drugs, drink, or smoke but that’s the worst thing to do. One of the biggest causes of death in the United States is by smoking. Every single day 300 people die from it. Drinking is probably the second worst to smoking because people will try something stupid and get killed.

Probably the worst thing to waste your life away is drugs, just the thought of seeing one person waste their life on those makes me sick. That’s one way to waste your life the quickest.

It’s not impossible to quit these drugs, because I’ve seen a lot of people do it. Probably the person who had the biggest impact on me was my grandpa. He and all of his brothers and sisters smoked. Two or three people died of it and that’s when he realized that he wouldn’t want to be next, so in 1974 a huge movement was started to make people stop smoking. The movement was called the Great American Smoke-Out. The challenge was to quit smoking for just one day and give the money you would have paid for cigarettes to a company that supports high-school scholarships. My grandpa kept on not smoking and he slowly clawed his way up in tell he smoking once a week and then it happened, he quit. If my grandpa can quit I know that the people you know who smoke can stop to, it takes hard work and determination but it pays off a lot.

One thing is for sure if you don’t take any of that stuff I guarantee your life will be way easier than if you do. After I learned all of this last year I know that I won’t ever become one of those 300 people. So if you know a person that needs help with one of these issues because their doing it for the wrong reason, then just try to help them because if you don’t stop once in a while and look around, life will just pass on by.