Never Giving Up

Darah - Leawood, Kansas

Some days I get a lot of homework and then I just don’t want anything to do with it. I just want to give up school, but I can’t because it wouldn’t be the right thing to do. Whenever I start to feel sorry for myself about how hard my life is I have to remember what my parents went through when they came to this country over 30 years ago.

My dad was 21-years-old when he came to the United States from Iran. He left because war broke out over there, and he also left because he wanted to become a doctor. He came to the United States with not a lot of money. He only knew one person in Kansas when he came here. After a few months, he received a student visa to go to school. Then he started to go to school at a local community college, so he could learn English and then be able to transfer to UMKC. He got his apartment in downtown Kansas City. He had about 20 cars during this time because they got destroyed, stolen, and shot up. They were all used cars because he couldn’t afford to get a new car. One day he got tired of school so he went to work for a couple of days at a restaurant but then he got tired of working there so he went back to school to get an education. When he went to school every day, he kept track of the time that he spent in class because he wanted to make sure that he got his money’s worth.

My dad finally finished his Bachelor’s degree, and then he got into medical school to become a doctor. Four years later, he graduated from medical school, and he started his residency in internal medicine. After passing his boards, he went back to Iran and married my mom. When she came here, she went through the same thing my dad went through. She went to community college to learn to speak English and then worked her way up to pharmacy school and seized her doctorate degree.

Both my mom and my dad worked really hard to get where they are right now. It is amazing to me what my parents did to get here and become what they are right now. After my dad made money he moved into a duplex with my mom in Appleton City, Missouri. They worked harder and harder and finally he bought a new car and a new house.

All of these events that my parents experienced affect how I think about my life and hard work. Now that I know what my parents went through, I feel inspired whenever I am overwhelmed by school work. They never gave up so I shouldn’t give up. So I believe in never giving up because my parents have shown me by their example of what I can accomplish if I just stick to things. This I Believe.