This I believe

Lucrecia - West Linn, Oregon
Themes: peace

I believe in peace like some people believe in fairy tales. Fairy tales are something for children. They are perceived as being for the naïve, the young at heart, for those under the age of thirteen. Believing in peace is perceived much the same way – a person who believes in peace is viewed as idealistic and having a childlike view of the world. But I believe in peace, whether or not this always applies.

Unfortunately, not many people believe in fairy tales. At least not for very long, and I know that I myself no longer believe in the wonderment of Cinderella, or the enchantment of the prince finding his princess. But to many people I am seen as a naïve child-like person because of my belief in peace, which I hold so deeply. But this is not the case – I am not naïve. I just believe. Believing is what keeps us going and gives us hope. I just happen to believe in peace.

I believe that peace can bring people together. The idea of peace and unity (when spoken through the words of Bob Marley) brought together two fighting nations and ended an almost war. Peace is created by people, used to promote a positive action. It brings together fighters, haters, people of different orientations, and even, occasionally, people that have opposing viewpoints. Peace brings people together because of what it has to offer – those who are peace, or those who have peace with each other have an understanding, a liking, or, as defined in Webster’s Dictionary, “a natural harmony”.

I believe in peace because it brings good to this earth. Peace brings good to this earth because of the emotions, and the actions which come with it. With peace comes happiness, understanding and courage. Peace brings love, joy and trust to the attention of those that need it the most. Peace brings together people who need help, and those that are willing to give it. Peace is a symbol that has lasted for over 50 years, yet it has the ability to speak louder than most words put together.

I believe in peace because it warms our hearts. It gives me hope, and I believe that there is nothing better, or more valuable in this world. For me, believing in peace allows me to believe that no soiled friendship will remain un-mended, that no war will leave more suffering than what is necessary, and most importantly, that people are, above else, good.