Individuality

Vincent - 75094, Texas

I believe in individualism as is the fundamental base for human inequality. It is human nature to be unique and prosper due to our own ideas and in turn that lets us thrive above the rest. I say be ignorant to the “norm” and disregard it because of its validity. The “norm” is nothing more than the stereotypical views of the conformed. Stand out and be somebody, make something happen. The normal to me is fitting in, always chasing the unattainable reality of perfection. Having the looks and the attitude coupled with an extraordinary mind, being the very definition of wow is what the normal is to me. However impossible this goal is this is what our society values. Our flaws are not accepted as a gift but as a burden and people must change themselves just to be welcomed.

My car is my prized possession. I was restoring a 1978 Datsun 280Z. I had got it painted, had an aftermarket air intake system, custom rims, a cop radar, PA system, and a pioneer stereo system complete with alpine speakers and an alpine 12” subwoofer with an amp. My car meant everything to me. One unfortunate night while I was on my way home from my friend’s house, some guy didn’t stop at his blinking red light; I had flashing yellows so I was not prepared to stop. We wrecked and my car was totaled. After I got the insurance money, I was stuck with the difficult decision of wheather or not to continue its restorations because it needs at least a whole new front bumper, side panels, hood, paint job, and radiator. Finally I chose to continue my work but before I did I took a step back and held my breath. I realized then that although I had been trying to make my car stand out and look unique it had been setting me apart from the rest of my peers the whole time. This is how I became an individual. I let my mind run wild with ideas for my car and with every idea finalized it set me that much further away from everyone else. Now, I am proud to be who I am and will never be ashamed of it.

Individuality spreads and consumes all who it touches. Once someone becomes an individual and their mind is open, it sets a path way for other minds willing to bridge the gap between the mundane and gaining self actualization. My days as a child under my parent’s wing are coming to an end and soon I will embark on the journey of life. Only now am I beginning to realize all the doors that have been open to me through my car. With every part replaced, there is a different future and with the key turned, engine hot, the roads to my future are endless.