Chris - USA

I believe in adaptation. I believe in adaptation to whatever happens in life, whether it happens to you, your family, someone you know, or even someone you don’t. This is what I believe because this is what I have seen, and now how I live.

It all began on November 11th, of the year 2000, it was a Saturday morning and my little brother and I were watching cartoons on the living room couch. My older brother came downstairs and told my parents that he had a really bad headache, worse than ever before. My parents thought he had a migraine, so they called my aunt who has had migraines before to find out what they should do. I don’t remember what they had him take right then; all I remember is what happened next. I heard sirens, and then the door burst open. There were two men with a stretcher and they raced upstairs. They had him outside in no time at all. The ambulance brought him and my parents two the hospital in the next town over where Life Star was waiting. He and my mom were then flown to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in Hartford.

My uncle had to come pick my brother and I up and brought us to the hospital where almost my entire family was waiting. When we got there, there was not a single dry eye amongst my family. They kept telling my little brother and me that it was okay to cry, they told us that our older brother might die. Neither of us felt the need to cry though, because we were too young to understand what was going on. I remember knowing that he was going to be okay, that everyone was crying for no reason because he was going to be fine. They told us that my older brother had an aneurism in his brain, and that he was currently in surgery. A few hours went by and he was still in surgery, I began to think about what it would be like without him in my life. I thought about having catches and playing basketball together. Then I thought about all the things that he wasn’t going to be able to do. He was only a freshman in high school at the time. He was an all-star in every sport he played and he planned on playing basketball and baseball in high school. He had six pack abs and was in great shape. It is amazing how all of that changed overnight.

When he came out of surgery, he fell into a coma for about fifty days until around new years. We celebrated his fifteenth birthday party while he was in a coma. The doctors told us that he would never walk again, but they didn’t know who they were talking about. My brother worked every day in physical therapy for months at Gaylord Hospital. Then one day we brought him back to the sixth floor of CCMC where he stayed for so long, and he stood up and walked down the hall to show everybody that he’d done it. When my brother got back to school e was a year behind his classmates, but that didn’t stop him from graduating with his class. He worked hard over the summer to catch up to his classmates.

It has been a little over seven years since his “explosion” as he likes to call it, and e has changed a lot. He may still get on my nerves sometimes, but I love him and I am glad that he is here, because he has taught me so much.