Struggles Made Me Stronger

Erin - Richardson/TX/75082, Texas

Struggles Made Me Stronger

I believe that struggles have made me stronger. Not struggles as far as the economic struggle to find food and shelter each and everyday. I mean internal struggles that scar your soul and damage your emotions. I am talking about struggles with relationships; relationships that are “supposed” to be stable throughout your whole life. People don’t typically feel stronger right after their struggle, but with time they will realize how much a better person they can be.

With no struggles or problems in life, a person is left weak and defenseless. Coaches will say, “Practice makes perfect.” Without practice, how could anyone ever just expect to be the best? Having no difficult situations in life makes being strong seem ultimately impossible when finally faced with an issue. When problems arise and that stage approaches someone face to face in that period of their life, that struggle they’re trying to overcome will eventually depress. The experiences and information gained through the process is worth so much in the end and is worth every hard time that they face.

Two years ago I experienced the most difficult time of my life. My parents sat me down at the kitchen table and told me that they were filing for divorce. My heart sank, and I asked to be excused from the table. The next two months my dad still lived with us until he found somewhere else to live. The tension in our house could have been cut with a knife. Everyday was a challenge to get up and keep going. I was constantly crying and having to step out of classes because I could not control my sobs. People in my classes, both friends and people who did not know me, must have thought I was a wreck or emotional basket case. They did not understand my internal struggle; in fact I believed that no one did. Eventually my father moved out on May 4th; this date also happened to be my birthday.

When I look back on this hard time, I realize that it has made me a stronger person. I now understand that anything can happen and I can never know what to expect. My parents had on a mask that made everything appear to be normal and great as it had always been. A divorce was just something that happened in movies for me until the “impossible” happened. Never underestimate the impossible. I know I am a stronger person because I have faith that I will never be handed more than I can handle. On the outside I appeared broken and a mess, but on the inside I was growing into the person that I am today. Struggles can make people appear weak but in the end they will be stronger than they ever thought they could be.