Fuel of Rejection

Tommy - Plano, Texas

Fuel of Rejection

I believe rejection wakes people up to reality. If a person has been apart of something for so long and then all of a sudden someone says he can’t be apart of that it makes them want it that much more. A lot of people tie in rejection with failure. I think of rejection as an opportunity to fix a mistake, or an opportunity to work harder. When I feel the symptoms of rejection like worthlessness, and embarrassment, I take it personally and do whatever it takes to change that. I look at it as if I’m down but not out. I will always get up.

I have played basketball for 13 years of my life. And my last year of high school I was told I couldn’t play. It put me into reality that to go where I want I need to work hard every day. Every day since then I have gone and worked on my game for hours. The thing I wanted most is to play college basketball and when I was told that I wasn’t going to I didn’t listen. I took it upon myself to put myself in that position. Growing up playing basketball, Michael Jordan was my idol, I looked up to him as the player I wanted to be because of the way he carried himself on and off the court. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” This quote resembles my current situation and it’s my motivation as soon as I step on the court. I have never been afraid of failure, and I can accept failing, but what I can’t accept is not trying. Being rejected and not making the basketball team my senior year opened my eyes and showed me that I better get my act together if I want to play basketball again. I have always heard people say don’t let anyone tell you can’t do something. So when I didn’t make the team, I took that saying to heart and used it to motivate myself. So now every day, as much as I can, I am practicing and getting better so I never have to feel rejection again. If I’m hungry I eat, If I have an itch I scratch it, and If I’m not as good as I need to be I get better. It’s as simple as that.

Rejection is what is feeding me. I have gone from hating it, to feeding my hunger of being the best player that I can be. Instead of quitting like so many other people have, I used it to my advantage, because now I have that extra motivation. Don’t let rejection stop you from doing something you really want. Use it to get what you want. Don’t give up because someone doesn’t think you can do it. All that you need to know is that you can do it.