Why Can’t We Be Friends?

Karisa - Plano, Texas
Themes: humanism

This is an incredibly huge planet in an exceedingly huger universe. Sometimes I think about how small I am compared to it all, and I’m an infinitesimal atom on a ballpoint pen. In the grand scheme of things, I won’t individually make much of a difference in the history books. Most people don’t, except for the extraordinary ones, and even then it takes even more people to actually make the difference. The individuals just come up with the ideas or innovations. If Albert Einstein had revealed E=MC² and no one had believed him then what would it mean? Nothing. We wouldn’t be taught that in schools, shirts wouldn’t have it inscribed onto them; that part of science and all ideas based on it would probably not be realized.

Once, in a dream I found myself in space completely alone, staring at the earth. In the blink of an eye it disappeared. Just gone. Mankind completely wiped out and I was the last. At first it felt great; at least I was alive. And at least there was one alive to prove our existence. I thought back on all the things I had experienced growing up, I thought of the world’s history, I thought of my family and friends, I thought about Albert Einstein. I felt as if I needed to remember it all. I needed to tell the story of humankind and of earth. Yet slowly the more I thought about it all I could feel the details start to slip away from me. Then I realized that I had no one to tell this legend. I realized that I’d probably be floating around lonely in space until I died. And in my mind I could envision the details of the earth slipping away from the universe too, forever. I could see my past slipping along with it, and then I realized there would be no one to prove our existence or mine. So it would be as if we had never even been this universe at all. There in the universe completely alone, I realized that without all the vanished people, I was just like them. I was nothing.

I think we as a society need each other, and I wish people wouldn’t be so selfish and focused on themselves. They need to encompass each other and understand that even though we’re all very different and lead our own lives, we’re still intertwined forever. Hate, greed and selfishness lead to destruction and egocentrism is boring. Our physical selves are only a part of us anyways. Environment, culture, other people, and a lot more help to shape us, and we’ll take those things with us forever. Therefore, they’re a part of us too. So we should take more consideration of them because that will definitely help to take care of ourselves.