I Believe I Can Fly

Claire - plano, Texas

I Believe I Can Fly

I believe that in order to find the right path to take in life people must sometimes take the wrong path or the path untaken by others. Life lessons come from mistakes either witnessed or experienced. It is very rare that people get lucky and take the right path in life just by guessing. The phrase “live and learn” holds very true to my belief statement. I can’t recall a time when I picked the right way just by guessing, I always looked back at past experiences or the examples others have set for me. It is the reason older people set examples for younger people, because older people have made mistakes in order to learn and show others what not to do. Since the beginning of mankind, humans and animals have both learned from mistakes and others have watched, but most of the time not repeated the mistakes having learned that they were wrong. Nearing the finish line with graduation right around the corner I’m not sure I’ve taken all I can from the people around me. I look back on my mistakes and regret actions taken or not. I understand they brought me to where I am today, but I’m not sure that’s the best place to be. Mistakes I’ve made have caused me to warn others or precautions to take and mistakes to not make, but most of all the effects and aftermath of my poor decision making, along with how it’s just not worth it. I have lived, and now I am learning.

In this past year I’ve probably learned the most when it comes to mistake making. This year in high school, my senior year, I was assigned to truancy, which is basically being sent to court for excessive absences, being late, and absence failing classes. I’ve had to go through so much stuff simply because I couldn’t get out of bed, because I didn’t want to wake up, because I had better things to do. Getting truancy took away all of those better things to do, and it got me out of bed. Giving that I’ve messed up with school so much this year, I’m hold onto graduation by a thread hoping and praying it doesn’t slip through my fingers. I always tell people to get to class and to do their work because I don’t want anyone else to ever experience it. It’s so much work just for the easy task of getting to school. Looking back I’m glad it happened because it helped me learn that I need to get serious about my life and put things of perspective, but at the same time it’s hard to think it all could’ve been avoided by going to class. I always make sure other watch and learn, because I had to live and learn, and though it’s not always fun, it helps with getting you to the right path in life.